Upcycle jars – using die cuts

Inspired by a sizzix promotion, I upcycled a plain jar into a rustic summer vase.

Assorted die cuts were glued on the clean jar with mod podge. I then used an old tester pot of emulsion paint to cover the jar. A light touch of metallic finish – gold finger by daler rowney – and a sealing coat of mod podge made it a useable vase.

What I learnt: (1) Three coats of paint were needed for an opaque finish. (2) Impatient as ever, I used a heat gun to dry the paint which lifted a couple of the die cuts a little. Actually a happy accident as it added to the rustic effect. (3) less is more with the metallic finish and you can’t take it away if you put too much on.

Soap pockets

Simple flannel pockets: sewn to use up the soaps we seem to have accumulated.

Each pocket uses half a flannel, could have squeezed it down to a third of a flannel with hindsight. A simple sew, making an envelope with a loop of ribbon stitched in to a side seam …

Made in the shade(s)

A cheapo basic shade from B&Q has been poshed up with monochrome stamping. I used a stamp set that came with a craft magazine rediscovered when I organised my supplies. Distress ink may not last as long as stazon but it works for now.

Inspired to continue I then used fabric pens on a discoloured old shade using the embossing on the fabric as the guide for my drawing.