I cut tag shapes (with the scan n cut) from scraps of card and tried to use up embellishments as part of a ‘Use What You Have’ drive. This was so successful that I have batched and bagged sets to give away.
I have been recycling an old Lesley Anne Ivory perpetual diary into cat cards and decided to put the Christmas cats into one bundle.
These images just need matting onto card before adding to the A6 card front. I cut the ‘Merry Christmas’ and bow, using papercraft society November kit dies, from the mat card before sticking the image on to it.
Finished with some sequins or gem stones these now make a cat lover’s Christmas kit. Think I like the non traditional colours best.
Stashbusting Christmas paper means gathering all potential festive supplies together. This encourages me to use new combinations. Here I have used residual A5 card bases with dies that from past magazine purchases and I even recycled elements from cards we received over previous years. Embellishments of adhesive gems that seem to accumulate complete a batch of cards. Inside I have heat embossed a simple greeting so they are ready for boxing and gifting.
I love these little birdies given a tree gifts this year. Made from acrylic felt and a crafters companion Scandi bird die set they have been fun to make.
A fun felt and glue project …
Many years ago my mother in law made us some Santa napkins. Hers were rolled hem red sheeting and Santa was sewn from fun fur with felt and google eyes. We use them every year and I wanted to spread with joy without making napkins, so a version using paper serviettes and felt was born.
her version has a triangular beard and straight top head but I preferred a combination of outlines I found on pinterest so drew this stencil with a 7 inch band. Felt is forgiving so have a go and scribble out your own version, but keep it simple enough to cut out cleanly.
trace your stencil onto white felt (thicker is better if you can find a roll of quality felt), I reversed my stencil to get some variation in beard direction
cut it out inside your trace lines so they don’t show on the finished version
cut a piece of flesh tone felt and hot glue it behind the face gap – I suggest you hold the felt with tweezers to avoid glue burns and help be precise-ish, tweezers also pull off any glue strands
hot glue on a red mini Pom Pom for the nose and googly eyes in a characterful position, tweezers again most useful
I added pinking shear cut felt strips as a moustache and tiny pieces for eyebrows then glued the band into a loop with about a one inch overlap
some people embroider on names or add other embellishments… I like this clean and simple version
If gifting a set of these include spare red serviettes to encourage reuse.
A quick sew which turned out more rustic than planned so will be used for picking up logs and coal.
I cut around the pockets of some old jeans making four pads from one pair and trimmed batting and a fabric remnant to match.
Making a sandwich with the pockets and fabric right sides out around the batting. I then sewed the raw edge of a strip of denim binding made from the same jeans (see previous post) to one side of the sandwich then flipped it over and sewed the folded edge to the other side.
The bulk made this a bumpy sew, so next time I will cut a bigger square around pockets and use traditional binding for a neater finish that can grace the kitchen.
Top tip: Although I have run out of insulbright I have worked out that old ironing board covers do just as good a job with less bulk…
I am trying to use it up before I let myself buy anymore paper but there is still lots still to work with.
I used an image from my scan n cut inbuilt library to cut 11 trees, each cut 2 cm high and mounted on small foam pads, so easy – 10 for the front and one for the insert.
I reckon this would work as well with a punch maybe in star or holly shapes if you didn’t have trees …
Here is a quick video on how to diy an insert for a basic card blank. Let me know what you think of my video efforts …