I just couldn’t bin the 20 year old x-rays found in a clear out, so decided to turn some into bookmarks.
The sheets feel like heavyweight acetate. They cut and dry emboss well but there is a lot to use up.
This turned into a labour of love as I decided to paper piece die cuts on top of the embossed x-rays sheets. I used a bookshelf themed stamp, die and embossing folder set that came free with a crafty magazine years back, so all round thrifty crafting.
As you can see, I also made more conventional card bookmarks in a fun crafty morning.
Inspired by a sizzix promotion, I upcycled a plain jar into a rustic summer vase.
Assorted die cuts were glued on the clean jar with mod podge. I then used an old tester pot of emulsion paint to cover the jar. A light touch of metallic finish – gold finger by daler rowney – and a sealing coat of mod podge made it a useable vase.
What I learnt: (1) Three coats of paint were needed for an opaque finish. (2) Impatient as ever, I used a heat gun to dry the paint which lifted a couple of the die cuts a little. Actually a happy accident as it added to the rustic effect. (3) less is more with the metallic finish and you can’t take it away if you put too much on.
A cheapo basic shade from B&Q has been poshed up with monochrome stamping. I used a stamp set that came with a craft magazine rediscovered when I organised my supplies. Distress ink may not last as long as stazon but it works for now.
Inspired to continue I then used fabric pens on a discoloured old shade using the embossing on the fabric as the guide for my drawing.
I up-cycled a beloved old shirt into mats this week. The fabric was ironed on to a firm interfacing, then a rummage through old stamps unearthed florals suitable for creating this border image.
Stazon ink and Ikea fabric pens were used before the mat was trimmed to a neater rectangle. A backing fabric adhered with spray fabric glue was then sewn permanently with my machine’s decorative blanket stitch.
To finish I sewed another decorative stitch through the stamping then decorated with some Pebeo Perlen fabric ‘pearl drops’.
Once heat set with an iron this is theoretically washable.
Blame me if the weather breaks … I have just converted his shirts (some of them) to short sleeved.
A simple chop and hem job using a ‘proper’ short sleeve shirt to get the length right. Just cut off an inch and a half below the intended hem line. Keep the chopped off bits for crafty projects.
Turn shirt inside out, press a hem along the intended length and then turn under the raw edge about a quarter of an inch. Press again, pin and stitch around the sleeve.
Tip: remove the bed from your sewing machine so you can turn the fabric as you sew. Tip 2: start stitching at the under arm seam so if there are any gathers (if the sleeve tapers) they can be hidden underneath.