I love the daily ‘one good thing by Jillee’ blog post. Lots of practical tips to make daily life a little better. Her recent post for diy fly paper got me thinking.
We usually buy plastic window stick ons in France to deter kitchen invaders but as that isn’t feasible at present wanted to make a pretty version of Jillee’s paper strips. So I die cut pieces from brown paper before dipping them in a sugar/honey syrup and hanging the dried sticky piece near the fruit bowl ready for open window weather.
Tip: thread string through the paper before dipping, it is messy to do it afterwards.
I wear a different brooch each day – I have a collection – but wanted some extras right for the times, so made some quick pin ons for all those upcoming virtual get-togethers.
These involve clippings from salvaged thesauruses (thesauri?), quotations and discarded dictionaries that have been glued (mod podge) onto card and then stuck (glue dots) on to pins.
Sellotape and safety pins will also work as these badges will have a short, indoor life. I might also embellish with buttons or sequins at some point. Depends how much time I can find in my busy schedule!
My current use it or lose it challenge is to wear perfume every day and finish some of the less loved scents . But now I reckon I only have enough to last me until October!!! So a little scented craftiness is today’s project.
I will be refilling some of the tiny bottles I have recently emptied with essential oil blends using a recipe ‘collaged’ from various sites
Base Essential Oils:Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood 20 drops or 20% of the essential oil mix
50 drops of middle tone oils like Rose, Lavender, Chamomile or Geranium ie 50% of the ess oil mix
30 drops of top note oils like Bergamot, Wild Orange or lemon ie 30% of the ess oil mix
3 parts of alcohol (unscented vodka) either on its own or with one part of carrier oil such as almond oil or coconut
Apparently it takes a few weeks for the blend to meld so I will report back later.
I cut tag shapes (with the scan n cut) from scraps of card and tried to use up embellishments as part of a ‘Use What You Have’ drive. This was so successful that I have batched and bagged sets to give away.
A ‘use what you have’ project as I couldn’t bear to throw out some wadding scraps when decluttering.
I made a rough pattern of an oval about 9 inches tall and 6 inches wide. (That is big enough to grab a small log or oven dish.) I cut out four ovals of fabric and one piece of wadding. Two ovals of fabric were cut in half widthways to make the pockets.
Each of the pairs of halves was pinned right sides facing and stitched along the straight edge to make two shapes like this…
Then the pieces were stacked in the following order : wadding, complete piece face up, pocket pieces face up, complete piece face down. Carefully pinned together I stitched around the edge leaving a big turning gap towards the bottom of the oval.
After turning right sides out, flip the pockets inside out and stitch closed the turning gap, then flip them back the right way and you are done.