I just couldn’t bin the 20 year old x-rays found in a clear out, so decided to turn some into bookmarks.
The sheets feel like heavyweight acetate. They cut and dry emboss well but there is a lot to use up.
This turned into a labour of love as I decided to paper piece die cuts on top of the embossed x-rays sheets. I used a bookshelf themed stamp, die and embossing folder set that came free with a crafty magazine years back, so all round thrifty crafting.
As you can see, I also made more conventional card bookmarks in a fun crafty morning.
Using some of the outdoor vinyl I bought … we found some plant markers in the shed so I made some smart new plant labels. Scan n cut comes in to its own for this and transfer tape makes for neat positioning.
Time to use some felt scraps. decided to make some badges to brighten winter coats to stuck the layered flowers on felt circles and then stuck on badge pins sandwiched with felt rectangles for stability.
This is a very frugal activity using up old badges and taking miniscule scraps of felt. So while I have supplies out I am going to make embellishments for lavender bags etc. And happily nearly all dies designed for paper seem to work on felt – including the bee and butterfly – although the stamens die does create very flimsy results.
While I used hot glue for these, a more refined approach would be embroidery to fix flowers to the backing. I have used a few French knots here but really enjoy how quickly these come together.
Now to go through my dies to see what other little felt shapes I can cut…
This year’s resolution is to make something / be creative every day. A daily project or stage of something larger should exercise the creative muscles. No further restrictions. Just daily making to make every day count.
The log will be on a new page of this site’2021 daily makes’, open to inspection to keep me on my toes!
Step three of a Christmas project involves making a hammock for a stone, (completed project reveal after Christmas) so I tried my hand at wrapping using v basic macramé. might try this for wrapping sea glass with thinner wire next.
I have been wire wrapping sea glass found on a nearby beach and wanted to present them nicely, so turned to the scan n cut.
I drew an outline of where we live and scanned it in to the machine’s memory. I then resized it to hold some of my decorations and cut out just enough from sturdy white card. Before writing my message, I inked up the coastline in blue and faintly inked the land in green.
I can, in the future do tiny versions or go up to 12” wide versions for any home made crafts. It has taken me three years of playing with this machine to do what I should have thought of on day one!
My current use it or lose it challenge is to wear perfume every day and finish some of the less loved scents . But now I reckon I only have enough to last me until October!!! So a little scented craftiness is today’s project.
I will be refilling some of the tiny bottles I have recently emptied with essential oil blends using a recipe ‘collaged’ from various sites
Base Essential Oils:Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood 20 drops or 20% of the essential oil mix
50 drops of middle tone oils like Rose, Lavender, Chamomile or Geranium ie 50% of the ess oil mix
30 drops of top note oils like Bergamot, Wild Orange or lemon ie 30% of the ess oil mix
3 parts of alcohol (unscented vodka) either on its own or with one part of carrier oil such as almond oil or coconut
Apparently it takes a few weeks for the blend to meld so I will report back later.
Love this simple home made craft. It is designed so that the feeder of a greedy dog sprinkles biscuits/kibble/dry food on the mat giving the dog a challenge to find and retrieve the food.
Simply made with an inexpensive sink mat (mine Addis 30 cm approx square) with lots of drainage holes in it. Spend 20 minutes cutting a metre of fleece into 2.5 x 10 cm ish strips. Then sit in front of the tv knotting the fleece through the holes. Thread a strip up and down through adjacent holes and tie a single, simple knot to secure each strip until every hole is filled.
I used a thick fleece so stopped when the back looked like this. I finished by threading and stitching a 20 cm strip of fleece through a corner hole to make a hanger. This mat is washable and easy to make.