Have empathy with our Australian friends and try to imagine a hot, summer Christmas by upcycling old Christmas cards on a hot day in June!
No, not getting the Christmas sparkle at all but I have tackled an overdue ‘to-do’ with 30+ cards remade. Simple cropping, matting and embellishing makes this a satisfying to reduce the stockpile of card and sparkly things. I even used up some googly eyes and red glitter glue!
Two handfuls of mint stick-blended with half a cup of sugar. Three cups of water with another cup of sugar brought to the boil. Mint mix added to water and simmered for 10 minutes. Left to stand then double filtered before bottling.
Great in cocktails, with sparkling water, in herb tea, over ice cream or yoghurt.
These days I use patterned paper to make striking gift bags very quickly with a simple formula.
With a blunt pen and ruler score a vertical line from top to bottom about 1/4” in from right side of the sheet. Then fold the rest (in this case 11 3/4”) into four long, equal panels (for me a shade under 3”). Unfold your sheet.
Rotate the paper round 90 degrees and score a line a few inches from the new top to bottom (for me, about 2 1/2”) from the right side, this will be the bottom of the pouch. Turn the paper back to the start orientation.
Get your scissors out. Cut up the four folds from the bottom to the last score you made. Snip out the tiny piece on the bottom right hand side. Put scissors away.
Get glue or tape out. Glue the 1/4” panel to the opposite side of the sheet to make a tube. When dry, lightly finger press the other score lines so you have a rough box shape. Turn the four bottom flaps inside in turn and stick closed the bottom of your pouch.
Stuff gift inside, pad with shredded or tissue paper. To close you can staple, peg or stick the top from east to west. I have also hole punched and threaded ribbon or yarn to tie things up.
This gives you a box bottom for stability and a flat front for labelling or sticking a card to.
If your gift is weighty make sure the glue is strong and maybe add a piece of cardboard inside the bottom just before packing.
Inspired by a sizzix promotion, I upcycled a plain jar into a rustic summer vase.
Assorted die cuts were glued on the clean jar with mod podge. I then used an old tester pot of emulsion paint to cover the jar. A light touch of metallic finish – gold finger by daler rowney – and a sealing coat of mod podge made it a useable vase.
What I learnt: (1) Three coats of paint were needed for an opaque finish. (2) Impatient as ever, I used a heat gun to dry the paint which lifted a couple of the die cuts a little. Actually a happy accident as it added to the rustic effect. (3) less is more with the metallic finish and you can’t take it away if you put too much on.
Using some of the outdoor vinyl I bought … we found some plant markers in the shed so I made some smart new plant labels. Scan n cut comes in to its own for this and transfer tape makes for neat positioning.
A cheapo basic shade from B&Q has been poshed up with monochrome stamping. I used a stamp set that came with a craft magazine rediscovered when I organised my supplies. Distress ink may not last as long as stazon but it works for now.
Inspired to continue I then used fabric pens on a discoloured old shade using the embossing on the fabric as the guide for my drawing.