Using some of the outdoor vinyl I bought … we found some plant markers in the shed so I made some smart new plant labels. Scan n cut comes in to its own for this and transfer tape makes for neat positioning.
These 5” wreaths were made with scan n cut template cut from card and covered with Christmas holly, frond and leaf die cuts then finished with stickles.
Two wreaths sandwiched a piece of wool for hanging to make a little indoor welcome.
I have been wire wrapping sea glass found on a nearby beach and wanted to present them nicely, so turned to the scan n cut.
I drew an outline of where we live and scanned it in to the machine’s memory. I then resized it to hold some of my decorations and cut out just enough from sturdy white card. Before writing my message, I inked up the coastline in blue and faintly inked the land in green.
I can, in the future do tiny versions or go up to 12” wide versions for any home made crafts. It has taken me three years of playing with this machine to do what I should have thought of on day one!
Whoops! I seem to have ordered lots of 12 x 12 paper pads before using up my considerable supplies, so spent a couple of afternoons making gift bags.
Pictured are some I made from a roll of remnant wallpaper which is also demanding to be used.
A simple formula: trim paper to 12” wide by 7” high. Score along the 12” at 1/2”, 2 1/4”, 6 1/4” and 8” then turn the paper and score at 3/4” (for a top reinforcing fold) and 5” (for the bottom) Trim out the score lines and tape as shown. bottom tape not shown.
I used red liner tape for strength and popped in a piece of card to reinforce the bottom before punching holes to thread ribbon or cord for handles.
For the 12” by 12” sheets I used the trimmed spare to make labels and bows on the scan n cut.
This premium vinyl is much better than the economy version I have used before and I am surprised how well it melds into the canvas fabric. Let us see how the boat flag survives its outdoor life.
The other projects created from this crafty session with the trusty scan n cut (the whale is a standard supplied svg) will remain a Christmas surprise for the lucky few!
Rescue an old t shirt, make a fancy dress effort with minimal expenditure, make gifts a bit special or just personalise your stuff. I love htv ( makes me sound professional using the acronym doesn’t it?).
I bought a sampler pack on amazon which has more than enough useful colours (black and white most used) and lots of brights I might use up one day…
The cutting machine is vital though, so -for this project for a themed party – I found some squiggles on lovesvg.com and used a scan n cut font to make my statement.
Because htv comes with its own carrier sheet for when you are ironing, make sure to reverse any text image before you cut. I also do a test cut to make sure I am cutting on the right side as it can be hard to spot with the naked eye. And pressure is usually -2 on my machine.
Once cut, weed off the vinyl you don’t want, place vinyl side down on your garment and iron on. I use a towel inside the shirt and a pressing cloth ie a bit of cotton between hot, dry iron and carrier sheet. Let the vinyl cool before you try and peel off the carrier sheet, if there is resistance iron some more. That is all.
Ready for Easter or biscuits or to present home made goodies when filled with crumpled tissue paper. I used red liner tape to fix the two top ‘holding strips’ to the sides and the handle to the basket but it won’t be weight bearing. I also added a little felt tag tied to the handle as I have a pile of them to use up somehow …
I guess you could devised your own pattern and hand cut – pieces shown below – but I am grateful to find the file ready to use. For this version I used some Kanban light card which has a two tone pattern on one side and is plain on the other.
I have an ear worm of that song and a vision of marie osmond singing it. Never mind that though, I am happy with the paper flowers produced in this crafting session.
The flowers look quite different depending on paper used and the container/ vase displayed in. The blue themed group are my favourites but the patterned paper flowers aren’t trying to be real and look cute.
I was determined to use up some of my craftwork cards paper stash and I set the scan n cut to work. But you could cut a similar set for each flower quite easily by hand.
soften the paper fibres by rolling each petal around a barbecue stick or rubbing it against a bone folder
I used hot glue to form each petal layer into a cup shape but tacky glue works as well – albeit making assembly a little slower
I made a hole with my pokey tool in the centre of each glued cup then impaled a set of petals with an I-pin, a long sewing pin would work as well. Then I glued the single petals, including the rolled one, over the pin head. Some flowers have some Candi ( a small circle of paper that came with the paper pads from craftwork cards) at their centres. These were fixed with foam pads and hid the pin very well.
I stuck the pins directly into oasis in the bucket style containers and for the vase bound the pin against a length of barbecue stick. I used washi tape to bind, florist tape would have been better.
Some leaf shapes filled in the gaps in the arrangements, I needed far more flowers than I thought I would to fill the containers. Next time I will distress the leaves with ink to make them look softer.
i have already used the craftwork cards antiqued set and accessories quite a bit but these are very generous kits
two use tags from the kit and one layered die cuts . I die cut the sentiment twice to make a drop shadow
tip for next time, octagons don’t tessellate or mosaic togetherlike hexagons would, but here studding with the Candi worked out fine
ten simple cards done in one afternoon but there are still 21 untouched pages of paper in the kit. So much paper left to play with.