I wear a different brooch each day – I have a collection – but wanted some extras right for the times, so made some quick pin ons for all those upcoming virtual get-togethers.
These involve clippings from salvaged thesauruses (thesauri?), quotations and discarded dictionaries that have been glued (mod podge) onto card and then stuck (glue dots) on to pins.
Sellotape and safety pins will also work as these badges will have a short, indoor life. I might also embellish with buttons or sequins at some point. Depends how much time I can find in my busy schedule!
I cut tag shapes (with the scan n cut) from scraps of card and tried to use up embellishments as part of a ‘Use What You Have’ drive. This was so successful that I have batched and bagged sets to give away.
on my scan n cut, I cut gold decor laminate vinyl bought from French diy store in mistral font and dry embossed around it to give the card base texture. This very thin vinyl needs only 2 blade depth and -2 pressure.
Unseen is a dry embossed frame inside. Couldn’t resist embellishing with a few hearts on the front, inside and both sides of the envelope…
Precisely cut cards using my stash of lovely papers
The ‘hello’ card was made with 7 equal squares and one double size from assorted papers with little motifs from the scan n cut library to embellish them. The card base was dry embossed at half inch intervals and then the panels mounted on fun foam and then adhered in place.
I found it easiest to position the small corner pieces first , then the large piece and then centring the remaining pieces afterwards. The embossing helped with alignment
For the baby card I used the Docrafts papermania pastels craft collection paper. I covered the card base with the small hearts paper, stuck a strip of the large icons paper centrally over it and then cut words in different fonts from brown card for the greeting.
Inside I stuck two hearts and a footer strip from complementary papers from the pad – keeping towards the blue tones. To finish I brushed the greeting with Wink of Stella glitter.
Grate quality soap into a microwaveable jug. I combined some French milk soap and mini tablets collected from posh hotel stays.
Add a little water (start with a tablespoonful, you can always add more if the mixture is too dry) to soften the mix when you heat it, plus a few drops of almond oil and any dried petals or herbs. 30 seconds max in the microwave and it should almost rise or fluff up so give it a quick stir, then add a couple of drops of essential oil. Stir again before pressing into a silicone tartlet mould.
Leave to cool in the fridge for 30 minutes before unmoulding and wrapping in greaseproof paper.
I added dried lavender harvested in the summer to some of mine, they look very rustic so I made some smart birdhouse boxes on the scan n cut to present them in.
We printed two old photos on to xcut adhesive fabric (in sepia tones to match the linen and ‘frame’). This goes through a standard ink jet printer and has a canvas/linen finish.
The adhesive isn’t strong enough for practical use, it kept lifting at the edges, and yet is too thick to machine sew through so I cut a frame from heat and bond backed fabric, which just overlapped the edges of the photo, and ironed that over it. Now the cushions can be sat on or plumped and stay in shape.
The frame was a scan n cut library shape but could well have been cut by hand. The cushions are b&q standard but the final effect really uplifts them.
I need to use some of my lovely Christmas papers so made up the set of cutlery pouches as a gift for someone I know likes the concept.
I used the docrafts folk Christmas kit. This included sheets of stick on initials.
Method: a 12 x 12 sheet is cut into three strips, each 4 inches wide. Each strip is folded at 8 inches to create a front flap half the height of the back. The sides of the pouch are stuck down with thin double sided tape
A belly band is created by cutting a 1 inch strip from some contrast paper, the strip wrapped round the pouch and fixed with double sided tape
A square (with corners rounded) of scrap paper is stuck over the join in the belly band and an initial stuck on the square
I used border patterns from my scan n cut to give top and bottom of each sheet a scallop edge but a border punch or pinking scissors would also work.
Four sheets of paper made nine pouches including belly bands and trim and a set of spare initials was included to cater for a range of guests.
Beautiful papers from Craftwork Cards Antiqued and Chinoiserie pads were used to make some serious cards for ‘thinking of you’ messages
I used the scan n cut to create a decoupage effect with the water lilies (very impressed with the direct cut feature now I have tried it) and the trellis strip (a border from the pattern library) Continue reading →