Upcycle jars – using die cuts

Inspired by a sizzix promotion, I upcycled a plain jar into a rustic summer vase.

Assorted die cuts were glued on the clean jar with mod podge. I then used an old tester pot of emulsion paint to cover the jar. A light touch of metallic finish – gold finger by daler rowney – and a sealing coat of mod podge made it a useable vase.

What I learnt: (1) Three coats of paint were needed for an opaque finish. (2) Impatient as ever, I used a heat gun to dry the paint which lifted a couple of the die cuts a little. Actually a happy accident as it added to the rustic effect. (3) less is more with the metallic finish and you can’t take it away if you put too much on.

Friday challenge: use up … the lavender

I set myself a task to use up lavender as part of my decluttering project. Trawling pinterest for ideas reminded me that I can stamp on fabric and that I have eyelets and buttons galore, so lots of little trimmings could be added to my fabric de-stashing effort.

But all the above only use small quantities of lavender, fabric and trim so the lavender tin, now replenished with the 2020 harvest, remains well stocked.

Isolation crafting

Yes, there has been card making but much, much more. A daily dose of crafting keeps the isolation blues at bay. All being forced to use what is to hand.

Over the last 2 weeks I have made: trimmed pillowcases from recycled sheeting, doorstops and gift bags from the stash. I have harvested, dried and frozen herbs and made potions and gifts with them. Each day I have sorted, de cluttered and organised making more crafty mess every day!

And yes, a little Christmas crafting in case post isolation life is too busy to craft ( no chance).

Flip flop flip

My desperate purchase (no access to summer shoes or clothes this year) cheapo flip flops are so awful I can’t wear them even in the garden so I had to do a mini makeover.

I used a thin decor ribbon but could have wrapped with yarn or fabric strips as these are a bit big for me.

After 10 minutes wrapping, no glue just tucking ends inside, the job is done and once on they look ok. Until the shops open…